Saturday, April 25, 2009

Holiday Fruit Balls


The challenge here was translating quantities in half pounds to cups. This website was helpful:
Once I had that information, I adjusted the measurements based on the quantities of ingredients I wanted to use. I had a 5-ounce bag of dried candied mangoes (a substitute for the candied pineapple) and a 5-ounce bag of dried candied cherries. I figured that was close enough to 1/2 pound. I used about a 1/4 cube butter, 2 cups mini-marshmallows, and 1/4 cup evaporated milk for the syrup and about a third of a 14-ounce box of graham crackers, the dried cherries and mangoes, 2 cups regular raisins, and 2 cups nuts. I have no doubt that I made errors in conversion and adapting the recipe. Whatever. I was able to form solid balls, but not much coconut stuck to them when I rolled them in it. I did about five and decided to skip the coconut. But after about five more, the non-coconut balls looked naked. So I rolled all the balls and used a little pressure when I rolled them to get the coconut to adhere.


There are good; not too sweet. The taste reminds me of something similar we used to have that was made in logs, rolled in something (coconut? powdered sugar?) and kept in the refrigerator.



No comments: