Saturday, May 2, 2009

Coconut Joys



When I read this recipe, I was able to visualize what it should look like, which scared me a little because I don't always have the skills to create my images.

I stirred the melted butter, powdered sugar and coconut together. I molded a small ball of it, put it on waxed paper on a baking sheet, and then squished it down a bit. I used my index finger to make a small hole in the squished ball. I made 12 of these. Tiny for a bird's nest; not so tiny for a cookie.

Next - melt the chocolate chips. I thought it would be simple to melt the chips in a liquid measuring cup in the microwave, thinking I could then pour the chocolate into the nests. Well, I soon smelled burned chocolate so that didn't work. I put the chips in a bowl and microwaved until the chocolate was melted. It was still thick, and I was able to use a teaspoon to get a glob of chocolate and then maneuver it over the hole in the nest. Beautiful! I feel like an artist.

I put the baking sheet in the refrigerator for about an hour. The cookies are beautiful and very good.

No comments: