Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Monster Cookies

This is an amazing cookie!


But first, a few words about the recipe:

The quantities made my head spin. I decided making one third of the recipe would be reasonable. I filled up my mixing bowl with the peanut butter, solid coconut oil (for the oleo), the sugars, eggs, M&Ms, and chocolate chips. It was pretty full, and I hadn't even added the oats yet! I slowly added as many oats as needed to get the cookie dough to the right consistency. I used about five cups of the old-fashioned oats, not the quick version. The bowl is full. I wonder what container you would use to make the full recipe???

I dropped large balls on the baking sheet. They were huge. Then I started rethinking the size. The large size when I worked at a fast food place in the late 1970s is now the regular size. I reduced the cookie dough balls by half and put them in to bake. Ten minutes in the oven and a minute or two sitting on the baking sheet before removing them was the key to perfection.

They cookies are the size of a big cookie you would buy at Starbucks today. My one third recipe made four pans of six cookies. And they are excellent.

P.S. The coconut oil did not add a coconut flavor to this cookie, so I'm going to freely use it whenever a baking recipe calls for shortening.

No comments: