Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Easy Caramel Rolls

I started these yesterday. I had a bag of 36 frozen rolls. I don't have a Bundt pan, but I figured a casserole would do just fine. I buttered the dish and put the frozen rolls in it. I thought I would just use half the bag, and I was surprised that all 36 fit in the dish nicely.

I sprinkled them with a dry butterscotch pudding mix. It was instant; that was my only option. DRAT! I used the last of my cinnamon last week and forgot to buy more! I looked in my spice basket for alternatives and decided that pumpkin pie spice would be a decent substitution. Cinnamon is the main ingredient, and the ginger and nutmeg wouldn't be inappropriate.

I chopped some pecans and put them on, too. Then I melted some butter, mixed it with brown sugar, and poured it all over the mound of rolls.

Rather than use foil and a towel to cover for overnight, I put the lid on the casserole dish and put it in my cold oven until this morning.

When I opened my oven this morning. I had to laugh. Surprise! The rolls had expanded so they were overflowing the dish. The lid was askew and there was brown sugar mixture all over the floor of the oven. Easy to clean up, and I put all the rolls in a large baking pan.

I baked them for 30 minutes, then let them sit for 15 minutes before I turned them out onto a baking sheet. They are glorious - caramely and sticky. They would be even more wonderful if I had the bread/topping proportions right.

No comments: