Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Dad's Dumplings

This looked easy - I already had flour, baking powder, salt, and eggs, and had picked up a can of chicken broth at the grocery store yesterday. I wasn't exactly sure what a perfect dumpling would be like, but I figured I knew enough to give it a shot.

I started small - one cup of flour, one egg. I added milk as needed until my batter was doughy enough to form 5 meatball-size balls. I brought the can of chicken broth to a boil and dropped the balls in. They were not submerged, but about half covered. I set the timer for 15 minutes.

I noticed a burning smell after about 8 minutes and saw that the broth had nearly boiled dry. Yikes. I had to remove the lid to do something. I added more water, a bouillon cube, and turned the dumplings over because they had burned to the bottom of the pan. I covered them and let them boil for another few minutes. Then I took them out to 'dry' and cut the burned portions off.
They taste pretty good and are what I think a dumpling would be like with a bowl of chicken noodle soup.

P.S. Andy did detect a burned taste, and I did make these over a couple weeks later. I made smaller dumplings and boiled them in a larger volume of chicken broth. I then added some vegetables, and we had soup with dumplings.

No comments: