Monday, May 4, 2009

Delicious Cookies



I knew I didn't want a hundred cookies, but I also didn't want to halve a recipe with one egg. I figured that I'd make the full recipe and would make normal size rather than small balls.

When I was checking my supplies yesterday, I noticed that I had a jar of Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (a "good" fat) that I haven't used for a long time. It's a solid fat. It also had a noticeable coconut scent and taste, which is why we don't use it often for cooking. I was happy to see that it could be used in place of shortening, so that's what I used for the oleo.


Lots of great ingredients. When everything was mixed together it seemed pretty dry, but I managed to make a dozen balls. They crumbled when I flattened them with a fork. I squished them into cookie shape and put them in to bake. At twelve minutes I checked - the bottoms were burned and the rest of the cookie was dark brown.


I added another third cup oil to the cookie dough hoping they would hold together better. They did, and I put in the second dozen for ten minutes. Better, but still pretty brown.

I made the third dozen bigger and baked for ten minutes. They looked pretty nice, but came apart easily when I took them off the baking sheet.

I put the last seven very large cookies in the oven as golf ball-sized balls. After eight minutes, I flattened them with a fork. After ten minutes, they were pretty light, but the bottoms looked brown. I took them out of the oven and let them sit on the baking sheet for another minute. They are perfect.

The cookies are good and have a distinct coconut flavor. I don't know if that's from coconut in the cookie or the coconut oil. We'll see how the coconut oil works as a shortening substitute for a cookie without coconut as an ingredient.

No comments: