Sunday, May 3, 2009

Meat Logs



This is another recipe I was worried about because I could imagine what it's supposed to look like.

I decided to make half a recipe - two pounds of ground meat, not four. I used a pound of lean ground beef and a pound of mild Italian sausage. I skipped the dried onions since I don't have any. I didn't want to chop any fresh onions either.

I made the meat mixture and put it on a sheet of waxed paper on a cookie sheet. Then I held my pan next to it so I'd know which way I needed to 'roll' to fit. (Horizontally.)

I put a thin layer of shredded cheese on the meat. I decided to put another thin layer of cheese on. I have some fresh cilantro, so I decided to chop some of that and put it on.

I have little cans of chopped green chilies and chopped olives. I put the green chilies in the vertical middle. The same size can of chopped olives went a lot further, so I put a row on each side of the chilies.

Ready to Roll!

I was happy to learn when I re-read the recipe that I just had to lap the ends and not really roll them. So I lapped one side and then the other. Either my meat layer is too thick or I'm using to much filling, because it's not realistic to seal the ends.

Next I put greased baking pan over the filled meat loaf and flipped the cookie sheet over so the loaf was now in the pan. Whew. I covered it with a jar on salsa and I baked for about an hour at 350. This was a great meatloaf.

No comments: