Monday, May 18, 2009

Grandma Tauer's Cooky Turnovers




No, this is not a picture of my finished "cooky." But it's what I had in mind when I started cooking.


I made the filling first. I was concerned that it would burn before it got thick, but when I added the walnuts it became thick enough.


Next, the dough. Before I added flour, it was very thin. I didn't think it would ever get to the right consistency. I added flour, more flour, more flour. I must have added three or more cups of flour before it got to the right consistency. I almost gave up and was going to make these in muffin tins, but the dough tasted like sugar cookie dough from when I was a kid so I thought I might be on the right track. I kept adding more flour, and eventually the dough became roll-able.


I didn't get these very thin, and I made them MUCH larger than this recipe intends. But I have five cazone-sized cookies that are good. It was easy to share one.

No comments: